I kind of miss this blog. It’s been so long…Facebook is about all I can handle lately, and sometimes when I think about this blog (or come back to visit, like I did tonight since I got a new comment–good luck, Cori!) it makes me a little sad for my old life. I love, love, love my new life, but I still miss the old one, you know? Anyway. I thought maybe I’d do the end of the year meme that I did for the past however many years here. Just because, well, why not.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house. Parented a toddler. Moved back to my hometown.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any resolutions. For next year…well, the goal to be “good enough” was a good one, i think. I like that one.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Hmm, in 2009…Um, no? But my sister is pregnant!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
GB’s grandpa. I miss him all the time.
5. What countries did you visit?
No other countries…i missed the conference in Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More money. A tenure-track job, or at least a job that pays enough to live on.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Waylon’s first birthday. My dissertation defense.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing the dissertation and defending it successfully!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not applying for any jobs this year might not have been a good idea.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Anxiety & OCD–I need to get on a different SSRI.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The house! And the new (new to us, 13 year old) Subaru is pretty sweet too.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Waylon. He always rocks.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and diapers, again, probably. And coffee.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finishing the dissertation. Waylon learning to walk and talk.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
God, the freaking Wiggles songs and the They Might Be Giants podcasts. Ugh. No real music, I don’t think. How sad.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier; fatter; about the same, but without a rent payment to make now.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising, reading for pleasure
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Panicking. Beating myself up for nearly everything I’m doing/not doing/not doing fast enough. (Last year’s answers still work, unfortunately.) (same answer for the past 2 years, and it still works…damn.)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Flying to the Left Coast to see GB’s family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With Waylon, more.
22. How many one-night stands?
Oh, no. Not a one, this year. Actually, I might have to count GB as a one-night-stand in 2008. Oh, no, that’s just too sad. (Same for 2009….Oh, how sad is that?)
23. What was your favorite TV program?
Got rid of cable, so watched everything on Netflix: True Blood, Dexter, Lost, Battlestar Galactica.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nah. Some people who annoy me more.
25. What was the best book you read?
My dissertation. Ha!
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I really need to listen to more music again.
27. What did you want and get?
A PhD…almost. Finished, degree coming in March.
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
God, no idea. Maybe Coraline.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 38, and had a barbecue at our new house.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having more money and actually getting drunk one time. Oy.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Slovenly at best. Same clothes every day, usually covered in goo. Not good.
33. What kept you sane?
GB, as always. And Netflix. And Waylon, always.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
As always, my Johnny Depp love continues unabated.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
GB’s grandpa and the east coast friends.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Getting to know old friends again now that we live in the same town has been amazing.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
You really can be happy anywhere.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right.”