August 30, 2007
Can you even believe how fast and how smoothly GB has taken to Blogworld? He’s a natural! And now he’s even making up his own memes. What a freaking
I can’t pass it up. Here goes:
Four First Names of Crushes I’ve Had
Four Pieces of Clothing I wish I still owned
- 1981 Stones shirt
- 1981 Bob Dylan shirt
- those jeans that fit perfectly and made my ass look great
- that green t-shirt with the Blues for Allah iron-on
Four names I’ve been called at one time or another
- Shivlet (got called this today. long story.)
Four Professions I secretly Want to Try
- animal rescue owner
Four Musicians I’d most want to go on a date with
[I have questions about this. Is it an awkward first date? A let’s-get-drunk-and-make-out date? A the-hell-with-going-out-let’s-stay-home-and-fuck date?]
- Gram Parsons (circa anytime he was alive)
- Richard Buckner (circa 1997)
- Ryan Adams (but I just want to get sloppy drunk with him)
- Johnny Depp
Four Foods I’d rather Throw than Eat
- brussels sprouts
- tofu shirataki “noodles”
Four Things I Like to Sniff
- kitty heads
Four People to Tag:
- Gospel Bob Himself
August 29, 2007
Posted by luckybuzz under OMGPONIES!!!
Dudes. Not only has Gospel Bob leapt into the blogworld like he was born for it–but both Skycat *AND* Tequila Fog took up my meme tag and have dipped their lovely (and, I’m sure, beautifully painted and pedicured) toes back into the blogpool as well!
This is very exciting news. You should really go give them all some love and encouragement to Keep On Bloggin’. The Blogiverse needs them.
August 29, 2007
Canada tagged me for the Four Things meme a few days ago, but I’ve been too immersed in credit/application/idiot-landlord hell to do it. Plus, I’m pretty positive I did this one about a year and a half ago…but what the hell. Maybe I have new readers now. Or maybe it’s possible that one or two of my old (uh, I mean “ongoing”) readers don’t actually remember every single freaking thing I write here (though I know that at least one of you does). Anyway. Here goes nothin’.
Four Things Meme
Four Jobs I Have Had In My Life:
1) Circulation staff at my university library (aka “get paid to nap”)
2) french-fry cooker and server at Big Regional Fair in Home State (I did this on my 15th birthday…birthdays got better after that, though)
3) online p0rn categorizer (for reals)
4) FBI-informant for illegal p0rn. Not fun. Let’s move on.
Four Places I Have Lived:
1) San Francisco
3) East Coast City
4) GB’s parents’ garage
Four Favorite Foods:
1) Indian (mmm, paneer tikka korma…)
2) the cheese combo from here
3) anything with blackberries or blueberries in, on, or around it
4) (vegetarian) pho
Four Places I’d Rather Be:
1) our new apartment
2) slumber-partying with them
3) drinking vodka slushies on a front porch with her
4) in the bumper pool basement with the East Coast kids
Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over
1) Harold and Maude
2) Big Fish
3) Annie Hall
4) Don’t Look Back
Four TV Shows I Like To Watch
1) Flight of the Conchords
2) Six Feet Under
4) Law & Order (original version)
Four Websites I View Daily
Four Computers I Have Owned
1) Commodore 64 (though bought by my parents, not by me)
2) some IBM/PC-sort of 486 (that would be a 486 *megahertz* processor, kids…the first computer I bought. 2400 bps modem. Oh yeah.)
3) a frankenstein computer put together from parts of GB’s parents’ computers
4) three freaking Dell laptops. They’ve all sucked.
Four People To Tag
1) Gospel Bob
3) Skycat (skycat! blog again!)
4) IB/DM and/or Tequila Fog (you guys too!)
August 27, 2007
- Prospective-apartment owner called early this afternoon to tell me that our co-signer (my mom) has atrocious credit.
- That’s not possible. My mom’s credit rocks.
- Turns out that one of the 3 big credit reporting agencies has somehow conflated my credit and my mom’s. Pulling credit with her SSN produces a report in *my* name, with both my and her credit.
- This is, needless to say, very, very bad for my mom.
- This is, one might say, a freaking catastrophe.
- No less than 15 phone calls ensued between me & GB and the property manager and owner.
- GB’s grandpa is our new co-signer. Maybe. Unless his credit comes up weird too. In which case, I give up.
- Did I mention we also don’t have proof of “income”? I have proof of student loans, which should be plenty, but apparently isn’t. GB has fabulous earning potential, but no “proof” right now.
- This whole process is ridiculously humiliating.
- Did I mention I’ll be 36 on Friday? I am So. Too Old. For This.
- In other things I’m too old for: I have cramps.
- Which means we seem to not be pregnant. Again. After, admittedly, only three months of trying. But still. I feel old.
- (See how I snuck that in there? Yep, we are. The rumors are true. Yes, I know that–if you know me in Real Life at all–you are now sitting there with your jaw agape, possibly drooling on yourself in confusion and disbelief. What can I say? It was, needless to say, GB’s idea, but it finally sounded good to me. I changed my mind.)
- (Yes, for the record, we are Trying with a capital T. Remember my OCD? I am temping, and charting, and all that
crap beneficial stuff. Let us speak of this no more.)
- I said today was a 2, though, and not a zero, and here’s why: because GB (still) rocks, and picks up my slack when I’m freaking out and can’t do anymore. And after dinner GB’s parents both came over and hugged me and told me they’re glad I’m their daughter-in-law. Sniff. That’s freaking awesome.
- I am almost positive that a bath will turn this day into at least a 2.5.
August 26, 2007
Posted by luckybuzz under OMGPONIES!!!
Days spent in New Town looking for apartments: 2
Miles, one way, from GB’s Parents’ to New Town: 172
Number of times I snapped at GB for completely pointless things that were really my fault: ~48
Number of times GB expressed his undying hatred for Hilton hotels: 6
Number of roaches in our first room at the Hilton: 1 too many
Caffeinated beverages consumed by me: ~12
Apartments seen: ~10
Number of times I felt utterly humiliated and pathetic about our crappy credit and current (temporary!) lack of income: 5
Time my mom spent at a Staples in Home State trying to fill out and fax her co-signer application for us: way too freaking long
Probability that there’s a place in heaven for my mom: 100%
Number of times I thought, “I’m too old for this crap”: 2
Cost of the apartment we liked best of all the ones we saw, compared to our last East Coast apartment: -$30/month
Size of the apartment we liked best, compared to our last East Coast apartment: +a few hundred square feet
Number of applications we actually submitted: 1, on Apartment We So Totally Love Best
LEASES WE SIGNED YESTERDAY: ONE!!!!
August 25, 2007
Posted by luckybuzz under OMGPONIES!!!
And if I already had my House In The Middle Of Nowhere, I’d actually have a chance at seeing one of these…
2000-Year-Old Meteors to Rain Down on August 31, 2007
Peter Jenniskens, Ph.D.
Meteor Astronomer, Carl Sagan Center, SETI Institute
SPACE.com Thu Aug 23, 10:30 AM ET
The meteors that are about to rain down in the early morning of September 1 date from around 4 A.D., the latest calculations show.
It is not often that we can tell when a shooting star was first released from a comet into space, to travel as a meteoroid in an orbit around the Sun, and finally collide with Earth’s atmosphere to shine as a meteor for our enjoyment. Most meteors that sporadically flash across the sky on a dark moonless night date from anonymous times. Only in recent years have we learned to trace young meteor showers, just a few revolutions old, to their date of origin.
The oldest such shower, but only one revolution old, is due in the early morning of September 1, 2007. Our calculations indicate Earth is about to cross the dust trail of comet Kiess, a comet that takes some 2000 years to complete one orbit around the Sun. The trail is very narrow, so Earth will be hosed by meteoroids for only about an hour and a half. The meteoroids will approach from the direction of the constellation Auriga, the charioteer, in the north-eastern part of the sky, causing a meteor shower called the “Aurigids.”
If you spot one of those meteors, you may be only the fourth person alive who is known to have seen this meteor shower. In recent times, the shower was spotted in 1994 by two observers and in 1986 by one observer.
If you are lucky enough to catch a picture of an Aurigid meteor using your digital camera, you will be the very first to do so.
The shower is visible from only part of the world. If you live in the western parts of the USA, Canada and Mexico, including Hawaii and Alaska, you might spot an Aurigid meteor. Plan to step out around 4 A.M. PDT in the early morning, warmly dressed with a blanket wrapped around your shoulders, away from city smog, with the Moon behind an obstruction, and with a wide view on the sky. Gaze up at the sky, waiting, and you may spot one of these elusive bits of matter that Comet Kiess lost 2000 years ago.
This is your only chance to see this shower; the dust trail is not going to hit again in our lifetime….
August 24, 2007
- He brings me wine and banana bread in our Love Suite(TM) when I’m feeling all avoid-y and not wanting to go downstairs where the family is.
- He made all the calls about seeing apartments this weekend.
- He cleans the litterboxes and the nasty poop puddles (the little cat has really messy IBD), and lets me have the job of feeding the kitties. So I get kitty affection for doing the easy job, and he gets kitty snubbing for doing the (literally) crappy one.
- He is a Woomaster Extraordinaire. If you’ve never seen him in action, you are seriously missing a beautiful thing.
- He holds my hand while we’re walking, even though public affection makes him all squicky.
- He’s blogging *for reals* now! I love his poems, but it makes me really happy that he’s got content-full bloggage now.
- And while he has his own (really perfect) nickname for Bad Idea,* he calls him Bad Idea on his blog too. Which makes me giggle, because, well, I guess he’s just a Bad Idea all around.
- He has the prettiest blue eyes I have ever seen in my life. After looking at them for 11+ years, sometimes the sight of them still makes me catch my breath.
*”An Inconvenient Jew.” Oh, if only I could make you understand how perfect that really is.
Next Page »