August 31, 2005
Posted by luckybuzz under Uncategorized
Yes, I’m a shameless birthday whore, but it’s still my second favorite day of the year (after Halloween, of course). (No, I’m actually *not* turning nine years old–why do you ask?)
So far it’s been awesome; hung out with Gospel Bob last night, got drunk on most of a jug of Rossi Burgundy (ah, memories of my youth), listened to records (lots of Van Morrison, my birthday buddy–happy birthday Van!), talked and talked. Just what I needed. And tonight is a special birthday edition of bumper pool.
After spending the past few weeks feeling very old and very mortal, I’m happy to say that this morning, at least, I’m feeling blessed and grateful.
August 30, 2005
Posted by luckybuzz under Uncategorized
OK, I can never resist these things. Saw this first at CheekyProf. The deal is:
* Go to Music Outfitters, enter year of high school graduation for song list in the search box [it will bring up a “Top 100”]
* Bold songs you like
* Underline your favorite
* Strike out the ones you hate
* Leave untouched the ones you don’t remember or don’t care about
I’m amazed at how many of these I don’t even know. I mean, like, I can’t say I’ve even heard most of these. Guess that’s to be expected from someone who spent her senior year sitting alone in her room with the blue lightbulbs on, drinking cheap red wine and listening to nothing recorded after 1974.
1. Faith, George Michael
2. Need You Tonight, INXS
3. Got My Mind Set On You, George Harrison
4. Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley
5. Sweet Child O’ Mine, Guns N’ Roses
6. So Emotional, Whitney Houston
7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Belinda Carlisle
8. Could’ve Been, Tiffany
9. Hands To Heaven, Breathe
10. Roll With It, Steve Winwood
11. One More Try, George Michael
12. Wishing Well, Terence Trent d’Arby
13. Anything For You, Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine
14. The Flame, Cheap Trick
15. Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car, Billy Ocean
16. Seasons Change, Expose
17. Is This Love, Whitesnake
18. Wild, Wild West, Escape Club
19. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard
20. I’ll Always Love You, Taylor Dayne
21. Man In The Mirror, Michael Jackson
22. Shake Your Love, Debbie Gibson
23. Simply Irresistible, Robert Palmer
24. Hold On To The Nights, Richard Marx
25. Hungry Eyes, Eric Carnen
26. Shattered Dreams, Johnny Hates Jazz
27. Father Figure, George Michael
28. Naughty Girls (Need Love Too), Samantha Fox
29. A Groovy Kind Of Love, Phil Collins
30. Love Bites, Def Leppard
31. Endless Summer Nights, Richard Marx
32. Foolish Beat, Debbie Gibson
33. Where Do Broken Hearts Go, Whitney Houston
34. Angel, Aerosmith
35. Hazy Shade Of Winter, Bangles
36. The Way You Make Me Feel, Michael Jackson
37. Don’t Worry, Be Happy, Bobby McFerrin
38. Make Me Lose Control, Eric Carnen
39. Red Red Wine, UB40
40. She’s Like The Wind, Patrick Swayze
41. Bad Medicine, Bon Jovi
42. Kokomo, Beach Boys
43. I Don’t Wanna Go On With You Like That, Elton John
44. Together Forever, Rick Astley
45. Monkey, George Michael
46. Devil Inside, INXS
47. Should’ve Known Better, Richard Marx
48. I Don’t Wanna Live Without Your Love, Chicago
49. The Loco-Motion, Kylie Minogue
50. What Have I Done To Deserve This?, Pet Shop Boys and Dusty Springfield
51. Make It Real, Jets
52. What’s On Your Mind, Information Society
53. Tell It To My Heart, Taylor Dayne
54. Out Of The Blue, Debbie Gibson
55. Don’t You Want Me, Jody Watley
56. Desire, U2
57. I Get Weak, Belinda Carlisle
58. Sign Your Name, Terence Trent d’Arby
59. I Want To Be Your Man, Roger
60. Girlfriend, Pebbles
61. Dirty Diana, Michael Jackson
62. 1-2-3, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
63. Mercedes Boy, Pebbles
64. Perfect World, Huey Lewis and the News
65. New Sensation, INXS
66. Catch Me (I’m Falling), Pretty Poison
67. If It Isn’t Love, New Edition
68. Rocket 2 U, Jets
69. One Good Woman, Peter Cetera
70. Don’t Be Cruel, Cheap Trick
71. Candle In The Wind, Elton John
72. Everything Your Heart Desires, Daryl Hall and John Oates
73. Say You Will , Foreigner
74. I Want Her, Keith Sweat
75. Pink Cadillac, Natalie Cole
76. Fast Car, Tracy Chapman
77. Electric Blue, Icehouse
78. The Valley Road, Bruce Hornsby and The Range
79. Don’t Be Cruel, Bobby Brown
80. Always On My Mind, Pet Shop Boys
81. Piano In The Dark, Brenda Russell Featuring Joe Esposito
82. When It’s Love, Van Halen
83. Don’t Shed A Tear, Paul Carrack
84. We’ll Be Together, Sting
85. I Hate Myself For Loving You, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
86. I Don’t Want To Live Without You, Foreigner
87. Nite And Day, Al B. Sure
88. Don’t You Know What The Night Can Do, Steve Winwood
89. One Moment In Time, Whitney Houston
90. Can’t Stay Away From You, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine
91. Kissing A Fool, George Michael
92. Cherry Bomb, John Cougar Mellancamp
93. I Still Believe, Brenda K. Starr
94. I Found Someone, Cher
95. Never Tear Us Apart, INXS
96. Valerie, Steve Windwood
97. Just Like Paradise, David Lee Roth
98. Nothin’ But A Good Time, Poison
99. Wait, White Lion
100. Prove Your Love, Taylor Dayne
August 29, 2005
Posted by luckybuzz under Uncategorized
The last couple days have been kind of a mixed bag, and I’m feeling nothing if not random. So–random updates, and probably a lot of bitching:
–got an email from my advisor that I didn’t get a student rep position I applied for. He did specifically say in the email that the decision to give it to someone else had “nothing to do with you or your qualifications”—which means, of course, that he hates me and I have no qualifications, right? Well, that’s what it sounded like to me. I read it to Gospel Bob, who gave me that look that 9 years of looking at him have taught me means “why are you making me look up from my video game with a concerned look about something so totally obvious to everyone but you?”, even while he makes sympathetic noises. So okay. On the bright side, my advisor a) hasn’t lost my email address; b) did suggest we meet soon, so I’m not being completely written off; and c) didn’t say anything overt about my worthlessness.
(Have I mentioned I’ve been a bit depressed the past few days?)
–But–I sent out the emails that have been plaguing me, and have already gotten some friendly and possibly useful responses back. So go me! That was a HUGE one to be able to cross off my list.
–Went to the Housing Authority with the Wrangler this morning, as his somewhat pointless moral support. They can’t help him at all, aside from more waiting lists. So that’s still a pain in the ass, and he’ll be homeless in 2 days.
–Had awesome Indian buffet with Gospel Bob, and then found a totally freakin’ adorable pair of brown boots at the thrift store that’ll look great with my new school-clothes brown pants.
–Is everyone as crazily affected by barometric pressure as I am? The past two days it’s been humid and hazy and looking like rain–but with no actual rain-payoff–and I feel like I’m about to jump out of my skin.
Fuck it. I’m going to grab a cat and take a nap.
August 27, 2005
Posted by luckybuzz under Uncategorized
My blogging buddy, Tyrone Baxter.*
* Not his real name, of course. This guy stands a better chance of being recognized than I do.
OK, yes, there have been lots and lots of frivolous posts over the past couple days. But I have actually been getting back into the swing of working–a bit–and feeling like this coming week should be especially productive. In the meantime, I’m waiting for the Wrangler to get here so I can help him go apartment shopping. He’s down to only a few days left to find a place to live for him and the Li’l Wrangler–a stressful situation, to say the least.
I’m realizing that lots of people–landlords, realtors, social services, emergency shelters–are utterly confused about how to deal with a single, custodial father like the Wrangler. Yes, I do completely understand that he’s a minority; the number of single women raising kids with no assistance from the dads is enormous and deplorable. But there are–at the very least–multiple shelters in the area for single mothers, including a housing-share program with other single moms. On a couple different occasions, when the Wrangler told landlords he needed a place for him and his son, the landlords asked, “How many days a week do you have him?” Um: it’s his kid, so….Seven. (There is occasional mom-visitation, but it’s erratic and infrequent.) While their situation isn’t the norm, it’s not somehow made any less difficult by virtue of the Wrangler being a man. It’s not any easier to make ends meet when you’re underemployed and underpaid. It’s not any easier to try to get child support from a deadbeat mom (a completely fruitless situation). And every single mom looking for roommates wants (understandably) to live with another single mom. So hopefully something will come through today in the apartment-hunting, or they’ll be moving onto my couch next week.
Anyway. Keep your fingers crossed for the Wranglers, please–they’ll need some good luck.
August 27, 2005
I love, love, love the Flickr spell thing (seen many places, though CheekyProf‘s was my most recent reminder to mention it). I’ve been putting in the cats’ names, as well as real names and blog names for all of us….too much fun.
(Yes, but I *know* I’m procrastinating. So that’s a step, right? Anyway, and on a side note, is mine the only university that hasn’t started up fall term yet? I still have 3 more procrastinating/anxiety-producing/half-a-job-having weeks ahead of me.)
Anyway. Make your own here.
August 26, 2005
Feeling hungover, tired, craving greasy food and, clearly, unable to escape my own head today. The show last night was good, though I enjoyed the drinking far more. I really, really, really need to make my initial fieldwork contacts TODAY. I’ve been thinking about the line I saw at the Academic Coach’s blog–“start with whatever makes you most anxious”–and if I don’t take that advice, my anxiety will soon overpower the entire rest of my life. So today I will send the emails I need to send. I will. Yuh huh, I will too. In a bit.
In the meantime…saw this over at Witchy Prof‘s awhile back. I like memes, yes I do. Especially ones that are all about me.
[ ] I’ve run away from home. [made lots of plans to as an angsty teen, but caution won out]
[ ] I listen to political music.
[X] I collect comic books. [just the new Serenity comics–oooo, 9 different covers!]
[X] I shut others out when I’m sad.
[X] I open up to others easily.
[ ] I am keeping a secret from the world.
[X] I watch the news.
[ ] I own over 5 rap CDs.
[ ] I own an I-Pod.
[ ] I own something from Hot Topic.
[ ] I love Disney movies.
[X] I am a sucker for hair/eyes.
[X] I don’t kill bugs.
[X] I curse regularly.
[X] I paid for that cell phone ringtone.
 I have “x”s in my screen name.
 I’ve slipped out a “lol” in a real conversation.
 I love Spam.
 I bake well.
[X] I would wear pajamas to school.
 I own something from Abercrombie
[X] I have a job. [well, 1/2 a job]
 I love Martha Stewart.
[X] I am in love with someone.
[ ] I am guilty of tYpInG lIkE tHiS.
[X] I am self conscious.
[X] I like to laugh.
 I smoke a pack a day. [7 months last week as a non-smoker, baby!]
 I loved Go Ask Alice.
 I have cough drops when I’m not sick.
 I can’t swallow pills.
 I have many scars.
[X] I’ve been out of this country.
[X] I believe in ghosts.
 I can’t sleep if there is a spider in the room.
 I am really ticklish. [I *hate* being tickled]
[X] I see/have seen a therapist.
[X] I love chocolate.
[X] I bite my nails.
[X] I am comfortable with being me.
[X] I play computer games/video games when i’m bored.
[X] Gotten lost in your city. [though you can’t really get “lost” if there’s nowhere you have to be]
[X] Saw a shooting star.
[X] Gone out in public in your pajamas.
[X] I have kissed a stranger.
[X] Hugged a stranger.
 Been in a fight with the same sex.
 Been arrested.
[X] Laughed and had milk/soda come out of your nose.
[X] Pushed all the buttons on an elevator.
[X] Made out in an elevator.
[X] Swore at your parents.
 Kicked a guy where it hurts.
[ ] Been skydiving.
[ ] Been bungee jumping.
[ ] Broken a bone.
[X] Played spin the bottle. [Often, and as an adult]
 Gotten stitches.
 Drank a whole gallon of milk in one hour. [2 liters raw goat milk]
[X] Bitten someone.
[X] Been to Niagara Falls.
[X] Gotten the chicken pox.
 Crashed into a friend’s car.
 Been to Japan.
[X] Ridden in a taxi.
[X] Been fired.
[X] Had feelings for someone who didn’t have them back.
[X] Stole something from your job.
[X] Gone on a blind date.
[X] Lied to a friend.
[X] Had a crush on a teacher/coach.
 Celebrated Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
[X] Been to Europe.
[X] Slept with a co-worker.
[X] Been married.
[X] Gotten divorced.
 Saw someone dying.
[X] Driven over 400 miles in one day.
[X] Been to Canada.
[X] Been on a plane.
[X] Seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
[X] Thrown up in a bar.
[X] Been ice skating.
 Met someone in person from the internet.
 Been to a motorcross show.
[X] Gone/Going to college. [forever and ever]
[X] Done hard drugs
[X] Taken painkillers.
[ ] Cheated on someone else
August 25, 2005
I did get some things from my list done today–the biggest one (psychologically, at least) being that I created a new document called “prospectus notes” and actually began working out the outline. Progress! Of a sort. So now I’m having a super-delicious vodka drink (Absolut Vanilla and cranberry/blackberry juice) and waiting for the Bumper Pool Boys to come over–not to play bumper pool! But to go see Rodney Crowell. Gospel Bob’s a big fan, so he’s excited–and I’m just glad to be doing something other than watching bad lawyer movies. So–I’m off to the show, and here’s this (found at Profgrrrrl‘s):
| Pure Nerd
86 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 39% Dork
| For The Record:
A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.
| My test tracked 3 variables How you compared to other people your age and gender:
||You scored higher than 97% on nerdiness
||You scored higher than 42% on geekosity
||You scored higher than 67% on dork points
Next Page »