1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Married GB in a campground. Oh, and I just (as of this morning) earned my first frequent flyer free roundtrip ticket. Whoohooo! Go fieldwork! Oh, and going to the gym–THAT was totally new. And I’m amazed at how much I like it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any…so I did better than I’d expected.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My younger sister had her first baby last month.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No (*knocking wood*)
5. What countries did you visit?
Various parts of the U.S.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The hitchin’–May 6. That’s probably the most significant single day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having my prospectus pass.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmmm….I wish I’d gotten farther in my fieldwork.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Millie, one of our middle cats, who decided that moving into the new apartment meant that she could stop peeing on the bed. She has suddenly become the model cat. Go Millie!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Well, my advisor has not been behaving in ways that make me happy lately.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, I think. Other than that….well, I guess there wasn’t much money to start with. I’m thinking pizza and rent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The wedding was way, way more fun than I thought it would be. And I loved this year’s Eating Tour of San Francisco.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Ah, so many. “Paradise by the Dashboard Lights” played at 45rpm in the Bumper Pool Basement. “New Morning,” the first song we played at the wedding. “Hold On Loosely,” because I still can’t freaking believe we used .38 Special lyrics in the ceremony (though we couldn’t do it with straight faces, so that’s something, at least.)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier (especially about just living with GB and the cats and not having roommates); thinner (23 pounds gone, baby!); poorer, dammit.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Relaxing. Camping. Dancing. Happy drugs.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Panicking. Beating myself up for nearly everything I’m doing/not doing/not doing fast enough.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it with GB’s family. GB’s grandfather said it was “As good a Christmas as I can remember.” I think that’s pretty awesome.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
This is totally sappy, but I think I re-fell in love with GB. Shhhh. Let’s maintain the illusion that I’m all tough ‘n shit.
22. How many one-night stands?
Almost one, depending on how you look at it.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office, and Buffy, of course. Oh, we watched all the Six Feet Under episodes this year too.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
“Hate” is pretty strong. I’m much more annoyed by Paris Hilton, if that counts. And there are people I’m certainly more annoyed by…
25. What was the best book you read?
Wow, I’m having serious problems remembering any books I read that weren’t dissertation-related. There must have been some…
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That “Paradise by the Dashboard Lights” is completely freaking hilarious played at 45 rpm.
27. What did you want and get?
A new camera–kind of by accident, since ours broke right before Christmas and GB’s mom loaned us the money to buy a new one. Oh! And I haven’t gotten the Levi’s yet, but I’m excited about those.
28. What did you want and not get?
Well, we didn’t really do presents this year since GB and I (and his parents) are super broke right now. So I still have really bad iPod envy–I’m convinced I will be the last person in the U.S. to own one.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think the only thing I saw that came out this year was Little Miss Sunshine, on the plane on the way to California. I thought it was okay–not bad, but not as good as I’d heard. Oh, we saw The Proposition, and I liked that–though it came out last year, I guess. Damn. We watched a lot of old movies this year…
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35, and I spent my birthday in San Francisco, at my favorite bar, with some of my favorite people. Awesome.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting my freaking degree. And learning to chill the fuck out.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
I spent the first half of the year wearing clothes that were all too small for me, and the last third wearing clothes that are too big for me. Uh, yeah, not my best fashion year.
33. What kept you sane?
GB. And the cats. And IB/DM. And Law & Order. And my mom’s generous and frequent checks.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Thankfully, I got over my Vincent D’Onofrio thing pretty fast. I still had lustful thoughts about Richard Buckner, though I’m less and less sure why. My Johnny Depp love continues unabated.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Um. Right. I keep reminding myself there is a world outside of my worried little brain.
36. Who did you miss?
My various friends scattered around the country…and I haven’t seen my big sister enough this year.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Hmmm. I’m sure I learned something. I’ll get back to y’all on this.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Most things I worry about never happen anyway.”