- Allergies? Or Cold From Hell?
- I don’t really get allergies, ever, so I’m going with cold.
- I have no voice. None. Well, right now I have little peeps of voice sometimes, but the past four days? Pretty much just squeaking.
- And, as of tonight, lots and lots of coughing.
- Well, and the whole low-grade fever and fatigue thing.
- So we didn’t go camping until Sunday. The first night with the boys Up North was okay–it rained a lot, but a pretty good time. Not so sure sleeping in the tent helped my cold/laryngitis, but I don’t think it hurt it, either.
- And we had a site right on the river. This was the view from our tent on Monday morning:
- Then we went off to Next State to camp with Skycat and the Yogini, which….well, it was as absolutely freaking awesome and fun as we expected it to be. For starters, this was the view AT OUR CAMPSITE (and yeah, you can totally swim in that lake, and I have the Best Pictures Ever of Skycat and Gospel Bob playing in the water here):
- Just Couldn’t. Love them. More. I really do have the best friends in the whole freaking world–I say that all the time. But I really love when I get reminded of it so vividly.
- And this is Sam and Diane, the coolest duck couple I have ever seen. Seriously. These ducks were awesome. They were cool, mellow, happy, and they looked like a couple that had been together a long time. We loved them (but we didn’t feed them):
- And, in a moment that made me way too geekily happy, GB asked if I wanted to take a bloggable photo of us:
- So, yeah. Great weekend. Lots of camping, drinking, singing (yes, I did actually try to sing with my squeaky voice. How could I not? Seriously. You couldn’t resist singing with those girls either), talking (not so much me), games, and more laughing than I’ve done in awhile.
- Just about worth the cough and no-voice.
- But I still hope I feel better tomorrow.
- Hope y’all had great weekends too!
May 30, 2007
May 26, 2007
(In honor of recently watching–for my first time!–The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on the giant projection screen at Jason’s.)
(And also because clearly I’ve lost my will to blog in any substantive form.)
- Yesterday I graded the very last of the finals for this semester. If I don’t end up working next year, this could be my last grading for a while.
- I think we have an apartment over there on the west coast! And I don’t want to jinx anything but can I just say OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!! It’s not JUST an apartment…OMG! But, no, afraid of the jinxing! Can’t say more yet! (Secret note to Trixie and G-Love: OMG!)
- We’re supposed to camp this weekend with the boys, and then…AND THEN! On Monday we head a couple states over to camp with Skycat and the Yogini! Which is just about my favorite thing to do in the whole freaking world. Yippee!
- It turns out that I haven’t, in fact, been paid all semester for one of the jobs I’m doing (the big one). This situation has been rectified, and I can pick up the Big Check for the semester’s back pay on Tuesday.
- I think I’m getting sick–I have a sore throat (though yesterday’s fever seems to be gone). GB is having his usual (but worse) stomach problems, too. So we might not camp with the boys tonight…we might go up tomorrow, maybe. Seriously hoping I kick this bug and can camp happily with the Skycat/Yogini family, though.
- The Little Cat hasn’t been feeling well–also usual for him, but worse (he gets his stomach problems from GB’s side of the family). I am a constant mess of Worried-Sick when he’s not feeling well.
- I’m not going to try to find it in the archives, but does anyone remember when my payroll department fucked up my direct deposit and (supposedly) gave me too much money? And then wanted it back? Well, of course they saw that I was getting this Big Check (which I should have been getting all semester…you know, for living on), and called me wanting the money I “owe” them back. Long story short: I had to agree to let them deduct the amount from the Big Check so I could actually GET the Big Check. Which sucks.
- AND, they seem to think that I’m owed (for the semester’s pay) an entire month’s pay LESS than what I’m actually owed. Basically, they want to give me 3 months of pay (counting the money they’re deducting for their fuckup), instead of the 5 they owe me. Can’t deal with fixing this until Tuesday.
I hope to resume something akin to regular blogging eventually…
May 21, 2007
Those of you who only know me and GB from here might not realize just how bizarre this is (though, actually, you might), but if you know us in real life, you’ll understand how incredibly surreal it was last night to hear the Dean of the law school announce,
“Gospel Bob…Juris Doctor!”
So yeah. The commencement is over (an odd phrase), my mom is back at her own house, and GB’s parents leave tomorrow. I will be thrilled to never sleep on a leaky airbed on my own kitchen floor again.*
Hey, I have a question for you, oh smart blogfriends (especially those of you in the legal professions): at the commencement, the Dean referred to the J.D. graduates as “all you new lawyers.” I thought that you weren’t technically a lawyer until you pass the Bar…or are you a lawyer, and not an attorney? Or, until you pass the Bar, are you just (well, not “just”, but you know what I mean) a J.D.? Is lawyer (in the U.S.) a title, or a rank, or a job? What I want to know is: what the hell is GB now, before he takes the Bar in July?**
*as my grandma would have said, “God willing and the creek don’t rise.”
**Besides super-cool, ridiculously adorable, and that-guy-who-got-his-doctorate-before-me?
May 20, 2007
As seen pretty much everywhere. I feel good about this answer…the turkey vultures were one of my favorite things about northern California.
|Your Power Bird is a Vulture|
You are always changing your life and the lives of those around you.
You aren’t afraid to move on from what holds you back.
Energetic and powerful, you have a nearly unlimited capacity for success.
You know how to “go with the flow” and take advantage of what is given to you.
May 19, 2007
GB and I are currently enjoying relaxing on the lovely ambiance of our own kitchen floor.
(Wait, can you relax “on” ambiance? Not so much, right? But are we “in” the ambiance of our kitchen floor? No, but in the ambiance of our kitchen…can someone rewrite that sentence for me?)
I am feeling a little punchy, it’s true. The airbed we’re on right this minute (in the kitchen) takes up the entire kitchen floor–I have to lift the bottom part of the airbed to open the refrigerator. Fortunately, we have a lovely double sleeping bag that works well with this airbed, so we should be fine. Really.
GB’s mom and dad are on our bed, in the middle room, and my mom is on the “guest bed” in the Real Bedroom/my office. And…that’s all of our rooms, except the bathroom, and no one is currently sleeping in there. But it’s still early in the weekend.
This post brought to you by OMFG-I-LOVE-JIM-BEAM.
May 16, 2007
- Tonight was a farewell dinner for The Advisor. It was sad, and kind of awkward, and there wasn’t nearly enough alcohol, and The Advisor is dodging me.
- The Advisor is partly dodging me because he neglected to submit a letter of recommendation for a summer grant I’m applying for. The situation is rectified now (he got the letter in under the extended-deadline wire), but I can smell the guilt wafting off him.
- I’m having worried and anxious thoughts about moving. I still think it’s a good idea, and is kind of exciting, but I’m concerned about leaving the campus (and missing out on opportunities around here…I think there will be some grad student hiring going on that I’ll miss out on), and whether I can finish next year, and how to pay for all this, and how to support my sorry slacking ass, and if/when GB will get a job, and where we’ll live, and, and, and…
- GB’s mom gets in tomorrow afternoon, followed by my mom Friday morning, and GB’s dad Friday afternoon. Did I mention ~450 square foot apartment? With four cats, and me and GB, AND the ‘rents?
- But GB is graduating from law school on Sunday! Go GB!
- Unfortunately, GB absolutely hates everything having to do with commencement. He’s participating reluctantly because the family is already on the way and I want to see him in regalia. Poor GB.
- Still…go GB!
- It seems that there’s a possibility that I haven’t been paid (all semester) for one of the three jobs I’m doing this semester. If this is true, this is excellent news, because the back paycheck will be a god(dess)send and will pretty much fund the move. Fingers crossed, blogfriends!
May 13, 2007
The blogger meetup today was just off-the-charts awesome. You know it’s working out when you all sit there after the food is done, the dishes are cleared, the drinks are empty, and the tip has been calculated (thanks to someone’s cool gadgets, if not to our over-educated brains), just kind of basking in the bloggery goodness of the meetup. And I got to meet one of my supercool blog-crushes, and she totally didn’t even laugh at me. Neat!)