Not sure if any of you are, but I’m still here, just quiet.
- GB’s mom left to go back to the west coast this morning. This marks the first time (not counting the 3 days at Big Damn Conference) that we do not have family in the house with us (and are not in families’ houses) since the beginning of October.
- We are staying at Skycat and the Yogini’s house, which is cozy and lovely and has chickadees and cardinals and doves and sparrows at the birdfeeders in the back yard, and I could pretty much watch them all day.
- It’s snowing here! And there’s a fireplace!
- We found an apartment–we move in sometime in December. It’s nice. The place itself is really lovely. It’s the top floor of the landlady’s house…and she is, uh, let’s say “eccentric.” But she knows that we have four cats and a baby and that GB isn’t working and that I have some crazy fellowship and we have bad credit and she is fine with all that. So. I am positive that stories will be forthcoming, as her eccentricities become less charming over time.
- I have an upcoming campus visit with one of the schools I interviewed with at Big Damn Conference!
- There were two interviews that went well: one in the state we’re living in now, and one in Totally Random Southern State. TRSS University interview went great–good conversation, awesome people. And I’m excited to have my very first campus interview. But.
- But, well, fuck. Now I have to prepare for this thing.
- It’s in 11 days.
- I am bringing GB and Waylon. The interview is only two days, but I figured it’s better to pony up the cash for GB’s ticket than to try to figure out a way to leave Waylon for two days (the thought of which makes my stomach hurt and is just not worth pondering further).
- I did have to get GB a different flight down there than the one I’m on, which kind of sucks, but they scheduled my flight and we can’t afford the pricier ticket I have. We’re all flying back together, though. Still–one more thing to stress about.
- My advisor (who is acting very much like an advisor right now, thankfully) reassures me that this is just fine. Although he added that I should probably not nurse Waylon during the interviews. I am in agreement there. I have no intention of anyone at TRSSU seeing Waylon or GB.
- Dudes, I have a freaking campus interview. I am SO NOT PREPARED for this.
- I have to write a job talk. Fuck fuck fuck.
- GB and I brainstormed ideas for it today, and I have an idea that might work…my advisor (acting like an advisor!) offered to read it, so I have to get it to him in the next few days. Crap.
- I have to GIVE the job talk. Oh fuck. Not ready. Not prepared. Seriously pondering running away.