An update at BPAL, *and* an acceptance email for my paper proposal from Big Giant Conference. And it’s not even noon.
March 31, 2007
March 30, 2007
CRSE tagged me, and in my hungover state I am powerless to resist. I just do what I’m told. The topic is “Five things I’ve never revealed on my blog.” But….I’m pretty sure that I’ve told you people everything. What else is there to tell you? Hmmm….I’ll give it a shot, but I can’t promise much right now.
Five Things I’ve Never Revealed On My Blog
- When I was 12 I wrote–longhand, in spiral notebooks–a 300+ page novel about my fabulous life married to Rick Springfield. This book had it all: intrigue, near-death experiences, adultery, drugs, rock music….I had this whole rock-and-roll-fantasy life, written out in these notebooks. By the time I was almost 14, I found the whole thing horribly embarrassing and threw the novel–and all my old journals–in the trash. I still regret this (though I’m fairly sure I’d be mortified to read it now, so maybe it’s for the best.)
- I almost bled to death after having my tonsils out at age 12. (I started the novel, actually, when I was recovering from the tonsillectomy. Apparently I have some weird bleeding issue that only comes up sporadically. I have many, many bizarre and psychosomatic illnesses, but I’m pretty sure I’ve blogged that before.)
- Sometimes I have a hard time dealing with not being a child prodigy anymore. I sometimes wake up freaking out that I’m getting dumber. If there was botox for the brain, I think I’d go for that.
- GB is the only blond I’ve ever had more than a one-night-stand with–before him, I’d never actually dated anyone with blond hair. When we first met, I was convinced that was the reason we weren’t going to work out.
- In real life, I go by my middle name (so does GB, actually). I went by my first name until I was 21, though–I switched to my middle name when I left my hometown and moved to SF. I think–very often–about changing my name and dropping my first name, because I really dislike it (at this point) and it makes me crazy when people use it–even like, at the doctor’s office, when they call me in by my first name. I have serious issues with it.
Wow, that was actually much harder than I thought it would be. Okay, so now I’m supposed to tag five people? Crap. Okay, I’m tagging–but no pressure, really–the following five people: Lucy, Margie, MaggieMay, Trixie, and G-Love. Ha! Take that, y’all!
March 29, 2007
- I have never had a mood so bad that it couldn’t be improved by dying my hair.
- I’m dying my hair right now.
- I’ve been dying my hair this color (or a color close to it) for 16+ years now. I just realized that I’ve come to think of myself as a natural redhead.
- I’m not a natural redhead.
- I submitted the proposal for the Big Giant Conference to two separate program units. I just found out that it was turned down by one of them. I’m waiting to hear about the other one (they’re supposed to let me know by Sunday, at the latest), but I have very, very little hope for its acceptance.
- If it’s turned down by the second one, I’ll submit it to Auxiliary and Annoying (But Much More Specific) Conference (the day before, and in the same place as, Big Giant Conference), and hope for the best. Whatever that might be.
- I’m in a totally stuck place with the dissertation. I know I need to be working on the next chapter, and today I did look at the (brief) outline of the chapter. But I also need to revise the first chapter. And I have a bunch of things I need to read for the second chapter. And I really should just start looking at and sorting through all my data, which will be crucial for this second chapter, and all the chapters to come. But I’m just not sure what my very next step is, and I know that there should be short periods of writing going on everyday, and I’m just feeling…stuck. And kind of beating myself up about it.
- On a happier note, I’m going out drinking with IB/DM tonight. Yippee!
- And I got these BPAL shirts yesterday, which I’d gotten from eBay. I got *both* shirts for a ridiculously good price, and I’m trying to decide which to wear tonight. These are the close-up images, but they’re both on black baby doll Ts:
(you can see more about the shirts here...They were from a Limited Edition Inquisition on BPAL)
I’m leaning toward wearing the “Ecstasy” shirt tonight, but I’m not sure….Suggestions?
- I had an amazingly fun foursome last night. Well, okay, not quite like the foursomes I’ve had in the past, since this one was all virtual and not-naked (and I have to say, I do miss the non-virtual, naked kind. Sigh. Maybe now that it’s spring again, I’ll get some of those…?), but totally fun, nonetheless–it was a four-way chat, where all four people were talking to each other…but not all at the same time. Does that make sense? (Damn gmail for not having chat rooms!) At one point, early on, I took a screenshot of what I had going on…I changed it a bit to make it bloggable, but I think it’s pretty telling of the whole experience: (ETA: I think you have to click on it to see the whole thing)
(GB‘s window is probably the hardest to explain, unsurprisingly. I think the “she” who was undermining his chicken dancing was CRSE. “Screw you” is, uh, one of our terms of endearment. Sure, why not? And “paw”….well, that’s a long story. We’ve been together a long time. Hee! It makes me laugh just looking at it again.)
- Crap–I have to go wash out the dye! Yeah, this has been a productive day….
March 28, 2007
Not to gloat, but….Guess what I did today that none of y’all got to do?
I got to have lunch, drinks, ice cream, and a long walk around a “quaint” little town (okay, we were lost) with Canada!
(Okay, that was really gloaty, and I’m sorry, but I had a REALLY GOOD TIME and I’m feeling kind of gloaty about it. Sorry. Maybe you can meet Canada someday….and if you can, you should.)
It included everything a blogger meetup should: beer, Thai food with the *entire* restaurant to ourselves, Ben & Jerry’s, photo and story-swapping, and BPAL sniffing and enabling. Here’s the bloggable photo:
And here is the super-special dorktacular photo of me not being able to control my camera and having it wildly misfire into the parking lot as I try to take an unbloggable photo of us. I think I may have possibly revealed a smidgen of my dorkiness to Canada, who is so awesomely friendly that she pretended to be dorky just to make me feel better. Thanks, Canada (but I saw right through that act–I think I’m much dorkier).
I freaking love blogger meetups!
March 28, 2007
Leave a Comment
I’m leaving in a few minutes to drive to the super-secret meeting place for a super-fabulous blogger meetup! The requisite anonymized drink photos will follow later today, I’m sure….Now I just have to figure out what to wear!
March 27, 2007
To the person who found this blog by googling “retro threesome sex”: you’re in the right place. Things have just been slow around here lately.
March 26, 2007
- So, after 6+ months on Weight Watchers, I reached my goal weight. I may shoot for going a few pounds lower–because apparently, what with the aging and all, weight has settled in different places now than a decade ago–but I’m pretty happy with the whole WW/gym thing (especially since I haven’t paid for WW, and have been tracking everything on a homemade spreadsheet). The end result so far: I’ve lost 36 pounds, and have dropped four sizes, since September.
- Because of the Stupid Fucking Issue, I continue to be annoyed at how happy I am about the weight loss. That’s a whole other topic, though, that I am so not going into here.
- My pho addiction continues unabated. I’m already planning ways to get pho for lunch, despite not being on campus this week.
- In case I haven’t mentioned this in the last five minutes, I’m not on campus this week because I AM ON SPRING BREAK!!!!
- I had high hopes for “spring break” translating into “get all kinds of dissertating done without teaching distractions.” So far, “spring break” is actually translating into “stay up until 3am watching Weeds, sleep until 1pm, and then spend the day wandering the BPAL forum until I *literally* dream about scent descriptions.”
- Yep, watching Weeds—Margie made a great argument for it (supplemented by emails-on-the-side), so we’re giving it a shot. We watched 6 episodes last night–so clearly, it’s working so far. I think we’ll work our way through the other suggestions–thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas on our next series! Looking forward to getting to all of them.
- Though it’s really weird to not be watching Buffy or Angel–as GB pointed out, we’ve been watching one or the other of those series since we moved into this apartment. Maybe we’ll watch Firefly again, actually.
- Today is my sister’s birthday–my little sister, the one who doesn’t know about my blog and who I am *just* starting to have a good relationship with. I’m constantly surprised–over the past three months, really–at how much I like my sister, after years of really not getting along with her. It’s weird–our relationship has totally turned a corner, and I just think she is completely freaking awesome, and I totally have the new-friend thing going on with her–I want to talk to her a lot and I’m worried that I like her more than she likes me, so I’m trying to be all cool about it, but it’s hard.
- GB is an only child–have I told y’all that?–and as much as he tries, he really doesn’t get why my relationships with my siblings are so complicated, needy, unresolved, and satisfying. I find myself unable to explain these things to him.
- Though–I think that CRSE is actually the only person I know who gets my relationships with my siblings, or at least pretends to give a shit about trying.
- GB and I had an argument earlier–a very rare occurrence these days, thankfully, but one that leaves me exhausted every time. Things are fine, and the argument was just stupid anyway, but I had a few glasses of wine after it. Maybe you can tell?
- Tomorrow I work. For real. Also, I have a blogger meetup coming this week–hooray! (More on that later, of course…)