A meme, of course. Thanks to crse for prodding me (just a little) to do this…I really was starting to think that I had absolutely no will to blog, and might never again. This is something, right? It’s a countdown meme!
1. First best friend: Krista J. was my best friend from first to about sixth grade…her mom was my Brownie leader, and her my mom and my mom are still best friends to this day (though Krista and I lost touch loooooong ago).
2. First car: My first car was a hand-me-down from my mom–I don’t even remember what it was now, but I used to refer to it as the “Geriatric-mobile”. The first car I bought was a 1987 Dodge Colt that took me back and forth across the country many, many times. That was an awesome car.
3. First love: Scott Malinky, in first grade. I spent about a week chasing him around the cafeteria (in retrospect, he may have been running out of actual terror, and not confused love). He had blond hair and blue eyes, and I didn’t love another blond-haired-blue-eyed boy until GB.
4. First vacation: Probably Disneyworld, since we went every year when I was a kid. My dad and I took road trips together every summer too (just us–left the rest of the family behind and hit the highway)…but Disneyworld was probably first.
5. First job: First thing that earned me money: slinging fries at a fair. First real job: circulation desk at my college library. Worked there all through college. Only job I’ve had where napping was an acceptable part of the work culture.
6. First piercing: Ears, 12 years old, also at the Piercing Pagoda (where crse got hers done).
7. First concert: Rick Springfield (with Corey Hart), 1984.
8. First record/cd bought: I think the first record I bought was the Police, “Synchronicity,” through Columbia Music House (ironic, if you know about my continual, burning hatred for Sting). First CD I was a party to buying was the Hoodoo Gurus. Weird.
9. First real love: the guy I married when I was 16.
10. First screen name: I don’t even remember. I feel old.
1. Latest alcoholic beverage: 2 beers at the Squirrel’s Friday night. Drinking is not working for my head lately, which makes me very sad.
2. Latest car ride: Um….I drove to the Gap Outlet last night. Let’s not speak of this again.
3. Latest movie watched: The 39 Steps on Friday night with GB…and 3 episodes of Angel last night.
4. Latest phone call made: To IB/DM’s voicemail, last night.
5. Latest jacuzzi bath: probably last week at the gym.
6. Latest played cd: Oh, did I tell y’all I got my new iPod? Yeah, that would be the real reason you haven’t heard much from me; I’ve been spending way too much time trying to load it, and it’s just freaking huge, and I’ve put, like, 50 cds on it, and I still have more free space than I have on the hard drive of my laptop. That’s just sick. In a really good way. Anyway–so I haven’t been “listening” to cds as much as copying them. But I did listen to a bunch of Modest Mouse last night.
7. Latest time you cried:
8. Latest meal: Peach Honey Bunches of Oats cereal. So. Freaking. Good.
9. Latest curse: Funny–GB and I had a long conversation about cursing people the other night, and about curse tablets and binding spells (about which I recently read far too much). So yeah.
8 Things You Wear
2. Jammy bottoms
(these 2 were crse’s, but that’s what I mostly wear, too)
4. New Balance shoes (I’ve been wearing the black and white ones a lot)
5. Smartwool socks
6. wedding ring
7. the same three t-shirts, over and over
8. Acorn slippers
7 Have You Ever
1. Dated one of your best friends: sure
2. Been arrested: no, and I’m fine with keeping it that way
3. Fallen in love at first sight: Weird–I want to say yes, but I’m pretty sure I haven’t.
4. Been in a TV program: no, though I was on the news once or twice (mostly due to college activism moments)
5. Had your heart broken: sure.
6. Said you love someone without meaning it: (crse’s answer here rocked.) Uh….yeah, toward the end of a relationship, I think.
7. Made a prank phone call: God, not in years. I think I’m due. I had a friend in college who was HUGE on the prank phone calls. His favorite thing was to call this guy we knew, a philosophy major (who completely fit every pompous, arrogant, superior stereotype you’ve ever heard about philosophy majors), and yell, “THIS IS DAVID HUME, and I think you’ve completely misunderstood my work!…” Hee.
6 Things You’ve Done Today
1. woke up way too late
2. made coffee
3. fed the cats
4. told GB I love him
5. shopped for work clothes on ebay
6. FREAKED OUT about having too much to do and feeling like I will NEVER NEVER NEVER write this freaking chapter.
5 Favorite Things
1. GB and the cats (i.e., my happy home)
2. My awesome friends (blog- and RL)
3. meeting Skycat and the Yogini in random places
4. Summer parties that start in the afternoon and end sometime the next day with quiet hungover chats with friends who stayed the night… (5. Blizzard parties. Kind of sad we haven’t had one this year.
4 People I Can Tell Anything
2. crse–she’s amazing at being totally non-judgmental even when I know I’m completely weirding her out with something I’m telling her.
3. Skycat and the Yogini. Because they get me liquored up enough that I stop self-censoring. (Uh, and because they rock.)
4. IB/DM, who hears WAY too many of my goofy secrets.
(Actually, I have a good number of confidants. That’s really awesome.)
1. Black or white? black is slimming.
2. Summer or winter? Both, please.
3. Chocolate or chips? chips. I know. I’m a freak.
2 things to do Before You Die
1. GET MY FREAKING PHD! (and a job…)
2. ….I can’t think of a #2….either I’m burnt out on this meme (likely) or too freaked out by the work I’m avoiding here (even more likely)….I’ll get back to y’all on this one.
1 Thing You Regret
1. Moving to the east coast without GB, and the long, bad year that followed…my biggest, and possibly only, regret. I hate thinking about it.
And what kind of question is that to end a freaking meme on? That sucks–hey, let’s just leave you thinking about your biggest regret! Have a nice day! No freaking way. I’m adding one. But zero is kind of a hard thing to answer, so…
Something you could happily do an infinite number of times:
Listen to Devotion + Doubt. Listen to Astral Weeks (if you don’t get why, read this.) Watch Harold & Maude. Kiss GB. Make mix CDs. Stay up all night drinking and listening to music and laughing with friends.
Yeah, that’s a better ending for a meme. You’re all tagged. Go!