1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Had a baby, interviewed for jobs at Big Damn Conference, had my first campus interview for a TT job
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution for 2008 was to be adequate, and I think I did okay at that. :)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! And my one School Friend, whose adorable son is 10 days older than Waylon. And another friend, whose adorable daughter is a few weeks younger than Waylon.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No (*knocking wood vigorously*)
5. What countries did you visit?
No other countries–a few U.S. states.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
The PhD. And enough money to live on. And a house of our own. And some idea where we’ll be living for more than a few months.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well, having Waylon obviously influences all the answers for this year…so June 3, 2008 (Waylon’s birthday) would be the stand-out date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having Waylon, and raising him this far. Hardest and best thing I’ve ever done. And getting 5 interviews at Big Damn Conference was nice, too.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Still haven’t finished the dissertation. And I really did bomb about 3 of my 5 interviews.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Postpartum depression–that was scary. And postpartum hyperthyroidism–also disturbing and scary.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don’t know! We haven’t bought much that’s not baby-related.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Waylon, of course! And the people of the U.S., for electing Obama.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and diapers. And moving. Oh, god, the moving.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
A few: the Avett Brothers’ “Die Die Die” and Van Morrison’s Tupelo Honey (the whole album) were big for me this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
happier, for sure; thinner, I think (I was just starting my 2nd trimester this time last year); poorer, since GB’s not working, but our expenses are less.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Camping, seeing friends
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. Panicking. Beating myself up for nearly everything I’m doing/not doing/not doing fast enough. (Last year’s answers still work, unfortunately)
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it with GB and Waylon, visiting my sister, BIL, and adorable nephew and my mom.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell completely, madly, head-over-heels in love with Waylon. At the risk of sounding like every first-time mom everywhere, I had No. Freaking. Idea. how much I could love someone.
22. How many one-night stands?
Oh, no. Not a one, this year. Actually, I might have to count GB as a one-night-stand in 2008. Oh, no, that’s just too sad.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
So many this year. We watched Dexter and True Blood (but lost cable before the end of the season for both); loved the Wire on DVD.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Sarah Palin, maybe.
25. What was the best book you read?
I’m reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution right now. Let’s move on.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Seeing the Avett Brothers live was all kinds of good.
27. What did you want and get?
28. What did you want and not get?
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
No idea, but here’s a tip: if you find yourself, on Christmas Eve, selecting a movie to watch with your sister, brother in law, and super-conservative evangelical Christian mom? You might want to make sure it doesn’t have a scene involving a sex chair and a giant dildo.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37, and spent the day having what I thought were awful panic attacks, but turned out to be the postpartum hyperthyroid. Ugh.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finishing the goddamn diss.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I completely gave up.
33. What kept you sane?
GB, as always. And Netflix.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
As always, my Johnny Depp love continues unabated. But I did begin my Keith Olbermann love this year.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I was completely obsessed by the election.
36. Who did you miss?
My sisters, Skycat and the Yogini, and my Hometown Women (there are more of them, but they don’t all have blogs…or at least, they won’t tell me about them). (Same as last year, but we moved closer to the Hometown women and Skycat and the Yogini…now I’ve been missing the East Coast City friends.)
37. Who was the best new person you met?
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Same as last year: moving sucks.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
GB suggested “the long and winding road,” and that works for me. I feel like I could do better with this last one but Waylon is about to wake up…